Thursday, January 20, 2011

Eddie Would Go!

the Quicksilver Eddie Aikau surf meet

Today was a great day to do the beach, the morning started early, 4:00 am to be exact. The was a pearly moon and giant waves. The waves were at least 20 plus feet, there was a large crowd of viewers and surfers too. There was plenty of action in the morning, the surf fizzled around lunch time but by then I had gotten the shots that I wanted. It made for a long day but boy was it worth it. There were people from all over the world, here just to see the giant waves.
I guess that sometimes I take being in Hawaii for granted because of all the to-do about big wave surfing didn't really move me until I was standing on the beach at Waimea hearing all the talk about how beautiful it is here, the mountains, the water, the surf, and the goodness of most of the people here. It was really awesome to see the power of the big waves and witness the skills that were displayed by the surfers themselves. It made a believer out of me and I will not miss this event in the future. I could have stayed longer but there were hunger pains and there was a bus to catch to get to my car which was parked at Haleiwa Beach Park, about 7 or 8 miles away, that's another story in itself. The traffic was outrageous with the water literally crossing the roads. All of this excitement made for an unforgettable day....Aloha
the crowd was there

the ride of their life



the waves were very nice for the event

more waves

awesome waves

just below the road

viewers were everywhere

the highway was packed

early morning at Waimea

a.m. view







1 comment:

  1. These are great shots - I can feel the crowd and I am awed by those waves! So glad you got to go.

    ReplyDelete